Preparing Your House for Sale
These tips can help your home show better than other competing listings.
- Clean off any dirt or mold – use a power washer, if necessary.
- Re-Paint, if necessary.
- Have the roof inspected for leaks, missing shingles, low spots, flashing, etc. Repair as needed.
- Check doorbell operation.
- Clean the windows.
- Clean the front door, walls, porches, decks, patios and remove all knick-knacks.
- Replace broken screens, lamps, light bulbs, as necessary.
- Clean and check gutters for proper drainage.
- Install new door mats.
- Remove anything that is unnecessary from the yard.
- The front of your property should be lush and green.
- Put down weed and feed to eliminate any weeds.
- Have any overgrown trees and bushes trimmed and cleaned out.
- Clean the walk ways.
- Manicure the lawn.
- New black mulch for flower beds and around trees.
- New flowers will also help.
- The yard should look professionally maintained.
- No vehicles in drive way during any showings.
- Have the house totally cleaned.
- Remove all valuables.
- Place air freshener’s through out the house.
- Remove everything that you can and place in storage.
- Remove all family displayed photos (depersonalize the house.)
- Warm up the house with a couple of plants.
- Make sure all lights work and are bright.
- Clean all ceiling fans and light fixtures.
- Install new HVAC air filters and clean intake grates.
- Clean, paint or replace AC vents.
- Clean all mop boards.
- Fix any painting/picture holes and touch up paint.
- Make sure rooms are a neutral color and repaint if needed.
- Clean fingerprints off of light switches and walls.
- Clean all electrical outlets.
- Make any cabinet repairs needed.
- Check that all appliances are operational.
- Remove and clean under stove, fridge, washer and dryer.
- Spruce up cabinets with furniture polish.
- Counter tops should be clean and shiny.
- Check all faucets for drips and under sink waterlines for leaks.
- Check hood vent operation and clean.
- Make sure kitchen floor is as shiny as possible (wash and wax.)
- Sink should be clear of dishes and clean.
- Fridge should be clear of all stick on calendars, photos etc.
- Check for any water stains, sheet rock damage and repair as necessary.
- Paint and touch up as needed.
- Remove all cob webs.
- Clean all crown molding.
- Replace if worn looking, and use neutral colors.
- Have professionally steam cleaned.
- Have carpet stretched if needed.
- Check for proper drainage in the tubs and sinks.
- Check for drips and under sink leaks.
- Clean mirrors, counter tops, sinks, tubs, and commodes. Remove any mildew.
- Clean or replace caulk.
- Check cabinet and drawer operation. Repair as needed.
- Remove everything from counters.
- Shine the floor (wash and wax.)
- Check all doors for squeaks and oil as needed.
- Check that all doors close properly.
- Check that all locks work.
- Touch up paint if needed.
- Check exterior doors as well.
- Check operation of all windows, fix as needed.
- Clean all windows and ledges.
- Open windows and clean the sills.
- Clean and put a couple of logs on the grate.
- Check screen and door operation.
- Remove the fireplace tools.
- Repaint if needed.
- Clean and organize. Put everything you can in boxes.
- Check garage door opener operation and safety sensors.
- Make sure bulbs are bright.
- Wash concrete floor to remove any spots.
- Clean light switch cover.
- Move what you can to a storage unit.
- Clean and put everything in boxes.
- Check light operation.
- Clean whatever is possible.
- Check stair operation.
- Check for rodents, have professionally removed if needed.